At Middleton International School, we aim to inspire students to develop a love of music and the performing arts while encouraging an increase in self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As students progress, they should develop a critical engagement with music and the performing arts and a growing sense of self-awareness.
The curriculum for music and the performing arts at Middleton International School, based on the UK National Curriculum for music and the performing arts, aims to ensure that all students:
- Perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions
- Develop an understanding that music and performance comes from great authors, composers, and musicians
- Sing and to use their voices to create and compose music on their own and with others
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated
- Have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument both tuned and untuned
- Develop an understanding of pitch, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations.
- Learn to project their voices in a performance
- Use imagination to perform ad lib and to begin to write performances