The International Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC) used in Grades 6 to 8 is designed as a gateway to link the in-depth knowledge, skills and understanding picked up in the Middleton Primary Years to the Cambridge IGCSE subjects undertaken in Grades 9 and 10. Middleton is a registered Cambridge IGCSE school in Singapore.
Middleton uses the International Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC) for Grades 6 to 8, which is used in over 100 schools in more than 50 countries. The IMYC is specifically designed around the needs of the developing adolescent brain to improve the way 11- to 14-year olds learn. These needs include interlinking thinking, making meaning, peers, agency, risk-taking and transition.
The student-led curriculum encourages learners to take risks. It includes experiential learning to feel what the Big Idea means in the real world and provides many collaborations and in-class discussion opportunities.
The IMYC allows for single subject teaching and learning whilst facilitating collaboration around a Big Idea, linking all subject learning to a conceptual theme. Seeing how the same Big Idea connects and manifests across different subjects will help learners better understand it—looking at it from personal, interpersonal and global perspectives to reinforce its importance and deepen the understanding of this idea.
The IMYC makes for holistic learning through its subject related goals that will develop knowledge skills and understanding, personal goals that will help learners connect and grow, and international goals that give learners a clearer sense of their place in a global community. Assessment is done through the IMYC Assessment for Learning (AfL) Programme that tracks learners’ skills learning through the beginning, developing and mastering in every age group.
|English||Additional English (Elective)|
|Mathematics||Additional French (Elective)|
|Science||Additional Spanish (Elective) [Not offered this AY]|
|Visual Arts||Library (only in Grade 7 & 8)|
|Information Communication Technology||Design and Technology|
|Personal Social and Physical Education||Performing Arts (only in Grade 6)|
|Additional Chinese (Elective)||Social Studies (only in Grade 6)|
|Additional Hindi (Elective)|
Middleton International School's curriculum for grades 9 and 10* is based on the Cambridge IGCSE Programme that encourages student-centred and inquiry-based approaches to learning.
The Cambridge-approved IGCSE Programme is the world's most popular international qualification for 14- to 16-year olds because:
- An externally set, marked, and certificated examination from the University of Cambridge, the IGCSE holds students to internationally recognised standards.
- Many leading universities and employers globally recognise the IGCSE results, giving students a wide range of options in their education and career.
- Taking the IGCSE in Singapore allows for a smooth and easy transition when students transfer to another international school overseas.
- The IGCSE also provides excellent preparation for further study at the Cambridge A-Levels (Advanced Level) in Grade 11 and 12, a recognised international qualification for university application.
- A good grade (i.e. C or above) in IGCSE English as a Second Language is accepted as evidence of adequate English proficiency by almost all UK universities and many in the USA, Canada and Australia.
The Cambridge IGCSE helps learners develop knowledge, understanding and skills in subject content and applying them to unique real-world situations. It promotes the ability to make intellectual inquiries, be flexible and adaptable to changes, work and communicate in English, influence outcomes, and be culturally aware.
|*Physics, Chemistry, Biology||0625, 0620, 0610|
|Physical Education||(non examined)|
|Service Learning - NYAA||(non examined)|
|Information and Communications Technology||0417|
|Art & Design||0400|
|Mandarin Chinese - Foreign Language||0547|
**Grade 9 was launched in January 2021, and our first cohort of IGCSE students will complete the 2-year course in December 2022.